In 1857 Rev. Nils Brandt, Norwegian missionary pastor for Northern Wisconsin, conducted a Lutheran service at the home of Joel B. Scott in Stevens Point. Known in those early days as a a mission church, these Scandinavians continued their church services under the pastoral care of Pastor Brandt, followed by Pastor A. Mikkelson from Scandinavia, and later, Pastor N. Berge from the New Hope Congregation. In 1873 they formed the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation in Stevens Point. Beginning in 1874 they shared property with the German congregation for the next 24 years. In 1898 the name of the congregation was changed to Trinity Congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. Most sermons had been in Norwegian, but in 1912, it was voted to have all services in English.
For more complete histories please click on the following links.Historical Timeline
In 2017 we celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. To learn more visit the ELCA Reformation website. Martin Luther believed the common person assembled for a worship service should be able to understand the order of worship. He wrote the Small Catechism, which was published in 1529 for the training of children in the Ten Commandments, the Apostles’ Creed, the Lord’s Prayer, the Sacrament of Holy Baptism, the Office of the Keys and Confession and the Sacrament of the Eucharist. The ELCA believes it is time for us to all bone-up and read the Catechism together with new voices. Learn more about the Luther Reading Challenge by watching this video.